- ACEP Fact Sheet on Psychiatric Emergencies
Serving Safely – CPE is part of a project working to improve interactions between police and those with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities. If you are interested in training or guidance - you can reach out at the website here https://www.vera.org/projects/serving-safely. Click here for a one-pager about the project.
- White Papers - Practical Solutions to Boarding of Psychiatric Patients in the Emergency Department - Does Your Emergency Department Have a Psychiatric Boarding Problem? and Care of the Psychiatric Patient in the ED: A Review of the Literature
- “Caring for Adult Patients with Suicide Risk: A Consensus Guide for Emergency Departments” - This guide is designed to assist Emergency Department (ED) health care professionals with decisions about the care and discharge of patients with suicide risk. It was developed with extensive input and guidance from a Consensus Panel of experts from emergency medicine and suicide prevention organizations including people with lived experience. Its main goal is to improve patient outcomes after discharge. From the Suicide Prevention Resource Center.
- “Preventing Suicide in Emergency Department Patients” Online Course - Emergency departments (EDs) play an important role in suicide prevention. This online course teaches healthcare professionals who work in an ED how to conduct screening, assessment, and brief interventions, such as safety planning and lethal means counseling. It also addresses patient-centered care for patients with suicide risk, patient safety during the ED visit, and incorporating suicide prevention into discharge planning. This course can be completed in approximately two hours. You do not have to complete the course in one session. You can exit the course at any time and return later to the place where you left off. From the Suicide Prevention Resource Center.
- Agitation Toolkit from the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. Includes training videos, information sheets, project BETA articles and more.
- Articles on Peer Support:
- CDC's Suicide Technical Package - A select group of strategies based on the best available evidence to help communities and states sharpen their focus on prevention activities with the greatest potential to prevent suicide
- WISQARS (Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System)- An interactive, online database that provides fatal and nonfatal injury, violent death, and cost of injury data (including suicide data) from a variety of trusted sources
Support for this Coalition was made possible through support from Teva Pharmaceuticals, Alexza, Galen, Magellan Healthcare and New Directions Behavioral Health.
Note: This page provides links to non-EMF web sites that provide additional information about these topics. You will leave the emfoundation.org domain, and EMF cannot attest to the accuracy of information on that page. Providing links to a non-EMF web site is not an endorsement of the other site or the information it contains by EMF or any of its employees or members. EMF assumes no liability for reliance up the site's content.